DF Advocates is a Maltese based law firm providing advice to international and local clients in day-to-day operations, local and cross border transactions and a multitude of complex issues spanning various industries. Our practice areas comprise Funds and Investment Services, Banking, Corporate and Commercial law, Gaming and Betting law, Litigation and Arbitration, Public Procurement and Privatisation, Trust and Fiduciary Services, Real estate, Shipping and Yachting, Aviation and Taxation.
At DF Advocates we are dedicated to our clients’ success. We offer pragmatic solutions based on an extensive knowledge of key industry sectors and practice areas. Our lawyers are focused on achieving results for clients through their commitment to excellence and in-depth understanding of the environment in which clients operate.
Malta has steadily grown in recent years from a convenient port of call for all yachts and superyachts crossing the Mediterranean, to a hub for the yachting industry as a whole. The island has developed the infrastructure requested by superyacht owners, captain and managers, including modern facilities and marinas, top quality chandlery and agency services, repair facilities and other similar products and services.
Moreover, the Maltese authorities and service providers have acted to make the Maltese jurisdiction, and most notably the Malta flag, an attractive solution for yacht ownership, finance and registration. Malta’s membership within the European Union, and Malta’s prestigious maritime tradition, have also contributed to this outstanding rise in the yachting industry.
Malta offers secure and smart possibilities for yacht owners and managers in the finance and fiscal fields, making Malta the most attractive jurisdiction available in Europe at present. In order to service such niche industry DF Advocates has a well-established yachting department providing legal assistance and advice to individuals and corporate clients.
Our services include
- Advice to yacht owners and prospective owners on the purchase/sale of their vessels (including drafting of agreements);
- Advice and assistance in relation to financing or refinance of purchase or refit works, including simple solutions and more complicated transactions involving leasing arrangements and fractional ownership, both to financial institutions and borrowers;
- Advice and assistance in the registration of yachts under the Maltese flag;
- Advice and assistance in relation to the setting up of the Maltese VAT leasing structure;
- Advice in relation to and setting up of tax efficient corporate structures for yacht owners and managers;
- Tax advice (including VAT issues);
- Advice on and drafting of charter agreements to owners and charterers;
- Advice on insurance contracts and other related matters;
- Advice on and drafting of crewing contracts.
We also assist owners or creditors in the arrest of vessels in the Mediterranean region. Malta itself is a favourable jurisdiction for ship/yacht owners, financiers and creditors to obtain and enforce judgments also because the relative Maltese legislation is based on the English Admiralty law. We advise and assist clients in relation to wet claims, including collisions, salvage, and towage operations; and dry claims, including disputes relating to insurance, transport, refit or constructions contracts, and crew.